[pct-l] mistakes I made while hiking the PCT

Jim Keener ( J J ) pct2010 at ridgetrailhiker.com
Tue Mar 9 20:54:00 CST 2010

Greetings,

Hyponatremia can cause severe problems. In me, I cramp, my arms and hands pull in. Severe reaction. Too many liquids, sugar; too little electrolytes. But. There is a bit of a balancing act. Knowing I could have a problem, I carried capsules of electrolytes. Took too many. Could not quench that thirst. This was the day before Pines to Palms Highway.

Even internal medicine doctors are loath to prescribe precise electrolyte/water ratios. It depends on the person, the weather, and exertion. I suppose awareness is the primary solution. And preparation.

Walk well,
Jim Keener ( J J )

jj at ridgetrailhiker.com

http://postholer.com/jj