[pct-l] mistakes I made while hiking the PCT

nosirreeb nosirreeb at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 9 17:35:50 CST 2010

> sbryce at scottbryce.com wrote:
> I was trying to eat 5000 calories per day.

I'm thinking that eating that much may have contributed to the hydration problems you had. Eating that much puts a heavy load on the digestive system, which has its own water demands over-and-above what one needs for hiking. You may have needed another 4 liters of water/day just for your body to process all that food.

While getting acclimated to the desert heat/dryness and hiking 15-20 miles/day every day, I think eating 1500-2000 calories/day (adult male) would provide enough energy to keep one going while greatly reducing your body's water needs. Your body fat will make up the energy difference needed until one gets acclimated and can handle more calories.

Thoughts?