[pct-l] Hard returns [OT]

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Sun Mar 7 23:22:15 CST 2010

On Mar 7, 2010, at 11:26 PM, Tortoise wrote:

> that is a problem with your email program.
>
> I used ThunderBird and it does NOT properly wrap some emails. It is a
> ThunderBird defect, not the sender's.

It is not that simple.  There are some situations where the
text was explicitly created with long lines that should not be
wrapped (tables of data for example).  Wrapping them  (instead
of providing  scroll bar) is the wrong thing to do in this
situation.  Computer programming code is another example where
auto-wrapping can hinder rather than help.

THe best solution I've seen mentioned is to have the viewing
program (the email client or web browser) provide an explicit
option to let the viewer decide what is the best way to view
the long text (wrapped or scrolled).

Radar