[pct-l] ASICS Shoes or other shoes?

Lisa Freathy rainorshinecamper at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 7 12:20:24 CST 2010

Finding the right shoes has been the toughest part of planning my thru hike (2011)... so many tested and still can't seem to find the right one.
I know that the "right" shoe will be different for every person and only I will really be able to tell what will work for me, but I wanted to see if anybody had experience hiking long distance with ASICS shoes. I use at the gym and they fit well, but am curious about how they hold up on the trail when backpacking.
Base pack weight approx 15-20lbs. I like the idea of getting rid of my old hiking boots and/or gortex "light hikers" (have used Merrell Siren Sport for several years, now that my feet have "grown" with my trail miles they no longer fit well) but am still a bit nervous about the support a trail runner will give my feet... I suffer from Plantart Fasciitis in both feet.

I was thinking of trying these ASICS Gel-Trabuco 12 WR...
http://www.zappos.com/asics-gel-trabuco-12-wr-carbon-carbon-azalea
My curiosity was also peaked by these GoLite Comp....
http://www.zappos.com/golite-comp-mint?zlfid=111

My feet measure size 8.5 average width (B), I am thinking going w/size 9.5 and if possible width C or D; using super feet inserts (and possible 2nd insert if needed so I can change around on the trail). I have been very discouraged with this plan MANY times by the shoe fitters at REI and running stores, but I am trying not to let them influence my decision too much.

Any experience, insight or ideas are most welcome!

Thanks,
Lisa

"Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean."
~ John Muir