[pct-l] Hard returns

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Sat Mar 6 21:53:57 CST 2010

On Mar 6, 2010, at 10:18 PM, Amanda L Silvestri wrote:

> I have never done a hard return and my posts do not have that problem of going on past the right margin.  Perhaps this depends on who your IP is.

This is not an Internet provider problem. The problem manifests
itself when the original text has no 'hard returns' and the display
mechanism doesn't arrange for the long lines to be wrapped.

As Wes Rose pointed out, you can see this in the archives:

http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/2010-March/date.html

This is because the PCT-L archive software doesn't wrap the long
lines explicitly when generating the HTML or implicitly via the
appropriate HTML and/or CSS styling options.

In contrast, everything looks OK via Gmail because Gmail represents
email messages in HTML in a different manner than PCT-L archives
such that the lines get wrapped.

Bottom Line:
  -- inserting hard returns will ensure your text looks OK almost
     everywhere (but can cause problems with deeply nested quoted text).
  -- PCT-L software could be tweaked to make the archives render
     in a more reasonable manner.

Radar