[pct-l] Ticks/Tick removal

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 6 12:50:06 CST 2010

Hello Steeleye,
Here is a place on myself where I often have found TICKS. If you have passed under vegetation/branches they will drop onto your head - once they are in your hair they will decend to the area of your hairline, often just above it. If you feel carefully with your fingertips they are easy to find.
Here is the best way to remove ticks that have become imbedded:   In 2008, south of Mt San Jaciento, one of my hiker-friends, Ginny, discovered that she had a tick that was imbedded. I had along one of those tick removal kits with magnifying glass and tweezers and offered to pull it out. Then another hiker (I think it was Radar - but I'm not sure.) said "don't pull it. I will show you a better way that won't risk leaving the head behind". He said you have to "tease it out, take your time - have patience". I was somewhat skeptical but he seemed very confident. He gently teased it and then would wait several seconds and repeat. Again and again and again and again,etc, etc, etc.. It took about five minutes - then I was amazed to see the TICK BACK OUT. That approach is very important for everyone to know about.
MendoRider