[pct-l] Electricity on the go

Paul Mitchell bluebrain at bluebrain.ca
Thu Mar 4 17:40:43 CST 2010

> Say goodbye to worrying about carrying enough batteries for your GPS,
phone,
pocketmail, and MP3 player while on the trail.

Cool idea!  Gotta say though ... unless the result is significantly more
energy than batteries, I'm not sure how a sandwich sized charger combined
with disposable hydrogen "tea-bags" is any sort of improvement.  It takes
energy to produce hydrogen, frequently from burning coal or natural gas, so
the embodied energy in one of those hydrogen "tea-bags" might be more or
less than a regular battery, and the usability of the charger is limited to
how many hydrogen tea-bags you bring.  I noticed they didn't mention in the
article how much energy each bag produces.

Not really the free water based energy the headline would lead us to
believe.

Potential 178
www.hikefor.com