[pct-l] MT Whitney

Matthew Edwards hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Wed Mar 3 20:46:24 CST 2010

Justin: Socks and I summited Mt Whitney on June 8 last year during our PCT hike. Of couse conditions will no doubt be different from year to year but we did hike over a lot of snow. I think because thru hikers by that point are in top condition I really don't remember giving the snow a second thought. In fact I remember Socks blasting past an Army dude with her flowered trekking poles. We shared our champagne with the guy when he reached us later.. He was completely in awe of our ability to hike a altitude. We did not think we were even going very fast but I guess we were!
 Except for crossing some gnarly snow shutes it was more exciting than scary. You must realize however that you would have to go way up to Trail Crest and down the backside of the mountain to reach Whitney Portal. I think you might want to get the Whitney endorsement on you thru hiker permit if you decend all the way from trail crest to the Portal. I am not sure if the rangers would hassle you anyhow but it's something to think about.
Whatever you do DO NOT Glissade down Whitney on your way back towards Guitar Lake. It looks tempting but thats how folks die there. Just my 2 cents. YMMV.
Have a great Trip!
You are gonna Love this trail!
-Iceaxe

Sent on the Go with my Peek