[pct-l] Travel Insurance

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Wed Mar 3 15:39:31 CST 2010

On Mar 3, 2010, at 4:19 PM, Kathryn Doiron wrote:

> Having already talked to a
> travel insurance provider, once we went over a certain number of days,
> the price of the insurance jumped up to a price not worth considering.
> Do we have to make a run to Canada to get medical coverage cheaply?

Get a high deductible plan ($3000-$5000 annual).  The idea is to protect
yourself with insurance for a catastrophic injury or illness but to
pay out of pocket for minor health care services.

Even if you have a $3000 injury you'll almost always able to negotiate payment
terms with the health care provider (i.e. monthly installments).  Often
you'll be billed less if you tell them you are paying out of pocket.

Health insurance costs varies widely from state to state due to
varying mandated coverage from state insurance regulators.  For
example in 2006-2007: highest average premium was Massachusetts
at $8,537, the national average was $2,613, and Wisconsin had the
lowest at $1,254 (http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2009/08/competition-cure.html).

Insurance is a terrible way to pay for 'normal' expenses. Any guess
how expensive auto insurance would be if it covered oil changes,
tires, car washes, and repairs due to normal wear and tear?

Radar