[pct-l] Hiking with bunions

Mary Kwart mkwart at gci.net
Tue Mar 2 23:28:54 CST 2010

Hello Jeremy:

I have backpacked with a bunion on my right foot for many years. I completed 550 miles of the PCT last year with the bunion. It doesn't cause me any pain. I make sure to replace the insole in new shoes with my custom orthotic. I try to take my shoes off as soon as possible at the end of a long day of hiking.

I have bought men's size shoes to hike in because they have more toe room. I use a woman's size 9.5 and am going to hike in a men's size 9 this summer (Merrill Moab Mid).

Just as important, I am extremely conscious of my bunion during the winter season--I use "yoga toes" to spread the toes apart and help spread the tendons that have tightened up and helped cause the bunion problem. Eventually I think it is important to migrate to wearing all shoes that are as wide at the toe as they are at the heel. Too small toe boxes help exacerbate bunions. If I could afford it I would buy a pair of those shoes that are like being barefoot, with total toe separation.

Someone on this list serve turned me on to a foot doctor in Portland who is onto non-surgical treatment of bunions. If I could afford it, I would go see him. He doesn't take my health insurance, tho. It is Northwest Foot and Ankle--503-243-2699.

Good luck,

Fireweed