[pct-l] SoCal section hike recommendation?

dsaufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Tue Mar 2 15:04:40 CST 2010

Sections A & E would probably be your best bets.  They're both around 100
miles. Sections B, C, D and F will have snow, and of course, Section D is
mostly closed and is open only across snowy Baden Powell.

I loved hiking Section A in March.  Had snow in Hauser Canyon, singing of
songs, rainbows, and the debut of Sock Puppet, and food and games with the
Georgia Tech "Alternative Spring Break" volunteer trail crew, shared with
good friend Scout.  Morena Butte was gorgeous in the snow. The San Felipes
were so, so beautiful.  Seasonal water sources were flowing.  A little snow
in the Lagunas, but quite passable. The flowers were out of this world. Got
to stay at the beautiful Warner Springs Resort.

Mr. Mumbles and I hiked E in April last year . . . we loved it.  Ditto on
the flowers.  We had two rain storms, so lucky to be warm and sheltered by
the wonderful Andersons at Casa de Luna for the first one.  The next storm
blew in off the Tehachapis while we were on the Mojave road walk, and we had
the cozy shelter behind a stand of Joshua trees. The wind howled and the
rain poured, but we were snug and dry. Coming up from the Cottonwood Creek
Bridge, the winds nearly scoured us off the earth. What an awesome force!
I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

For anyone interested in hiking Section E (Agua Dulce to Hwy 58), please
note that Hiker Heaven is not open for overnight hiking guests or hiker
services until May 1 (through June 30). That said, we can help with *on a
pre-arranged basis* for local logistics, car parking, ride coordination,
etc.

L-Rod