[pct-l] Iodine as water treatment?

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Mon Mar 1 12:30:22 CST 2010

Wander,

I too used iodine on the AT - iodine pills during the day, when treatment time was short.  I also used chlorine dioxide tabs at night, when I had more time for treatment.  I figured using two different chemicals would reduce any adverse effects from overexposure to any one type.

As you know I'm sure, the posters who complain about taste of iodine haven't heard of using ascorbic acid powder (ground-up vitamin C tabs) to eliminate taste and cancel out the orangish color.  Powdered lemonade, gatoraid, etc work the same magic.  Note to others - let the iodine tabs work about 30 minutes before adding vit. C.

My biggest concern about iodine is that it apparently is not very effective against certain kinds of bad nasties (giardia and/or cryptosporidium, I think).  I plan to go primarly with Cl-O2 tabs, although I might bounce some aqua mira for backup (same treament method, a lot cheaper, more hassle to use).

One other point about overexposure to iodine, esp. on the AT, is that up to 1/3 of your water can be "municipally treated", since you pass so many towns, stores at road crossings, hostels, etc. where evening, morning, and carried-out-of-town water comes from health dept-approved sources.  I'm not sure what % of PCT water would fit this category - probably a lot less.

Good luck,

Mango