[pct-l] Garmin Oregon 450T On Sale

Bill Burge bill at burge.com
Tue Jun 29 21:19:36 CDT 2010

First, let me state:  I do NOT own an eTrex and I do not have access to one to test with.  I do use a Mac and I have experience with some different types of Garmin devices (but not the eTrex).

So, out of curiosity, you got the Trex Vista Hcx:

Questions:

What size microSD card did you get?

Which "Garmin DVD" you get?

Do you have a "card reader" that will allow you to attach the microSD card to your computer?

What happens when you plug the Garmin, via the USB cable, to your Mac? Does a new "drive" appear on the Desktop?

Do you have access to any computers running Windows?  (When the eTrex was created, Garmin "didn't do Mac")

Observations:

eTrex waypoint storage: 1000 max,  HalfMile's maps: CA alone is almost 4200 waypoints!  You could carve them up into subsets of multiple Sections and swap sets along the trail, but you would have to get comfortable with the process.

A reduced set of waypoints in general might be a better idea.  Postholer has a set that are 1151 waypoints, so it might still need to be shortened or loaded in pieces at different points along the trail.   http://postholer.com/gmap/trails/pct/pctWaypoints_2009.gpx

On HalfMile's waypoint file for Section A, there are 295 waypoints to go from the Mexican border to 110 miles north.  If you strip out the waypoints that are just distance markers from the border, and keep the ones that indicate locations like campsites and water sources, etc - it becomes 75.  All of CA goes from about 4200 to about 730 - loadable on the eTrex!  (It would be awesome if HalfMile had an alterego: ZeroMile and maybe also TwoMile - hint, hint...  ;-)

BillB