[pct-l] Garmin Oregon 450T On Sale

Halfmile list at lon.net
Tue Jun 29 21:09:27 CDT 2010

The best way to load my waypoints is to use Garmin's free POI loader software.

http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/

You can download either the Windows or Mac version.

Using POI loader you don't need to worry about the 1000 waypoint
limit. Your Vista HCX can easily hold all 6,600 waypoints as Custom
Points of Interest (POI) for the whole PCT.

Then download my waypoint files from www.pctmap.net. For a thru hiker
I have one file for each state. Unzip the files and put just the .gox
files in a single folder. So, you end up with a single folder with
three .gpx waypoint files...one each for CA, OR, & WA.

Run the POI loader software, it will prompt you to select the folder
where you placed the waypoint files and then it will load all the
points in about 10 seconds.

You will probably need to set the map zoom level that points display
on your GPS. Go to the map screen, select Menu >  Map Setup - Points >
and then set the Max Zoom for Map Points and User Waypoints to a value
such as .5 miles. When set to .5 miles, waypoints and POI's will
display on the map screen when the map is zoomed in closer than .5
miles but will not display if zoomed out farther than .5 miles, so set
the number to what works best for you.

-Halfmile