[pct-l] GPS Woes and benefits

Eugene atetuna at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 29 01:37:17 CDT 2010

I don't know of a 550i, so I'll assume you have the 550t with preloaded 100k topo maps.  I have the 550 with several 20k topo maps on a 8 gig memory card.  I've also loaded all the waypoints and tracks from Halfmile, also on the memory card.  Instead of the (2600 mah) batteries that came with my Garmin, I use 2700 mah batteries by Sanyo.

I do agree that it takes a while to fully turn on, and although I've never timed it, it doesn't seem any worse than my old Vista H.  Actually, it's much better since it resolves its location much more quickly than my Vista.

I would have to guess on battery life since I mostly turn it on barely long enough to write down the gps coordinates.  Occasionally I'll have it on for several hours at a time.  I have it on battery saver mode with the compass off most of the time.  I'm not sure what the screen brightness is set to since I never read the manual, although I can't imagine it being any dimmer.  I probably run at least 8 hours between charges, or a week or two.  I charge it with my solar charger which unfortunately does not come close to fully charging my batteries according to my fancy charger at home, but this still gets me that week or two.

I would think that I'd get slower boot times and reduced battery life with all my data on the memory card.

Anyway, I would suggest either putting that charger in a bounce box and use two sets of batteries or switching to lithium batteries.  I recommend Sanyo 2700 mah batteries (also sold as Duracell 2650 mah at Walmart).  They are not low discharge batteries like Eneloop's, but the amount of loss even over the course of a couple of weeks is very small.  You may also want to consider switching it into battery saver mode, turning the compass off and turning down the screen brightness....or get more, better or different batteries like 1/3rd lighter lithiums.

How do you like the touchscreen?  I don't care for it at all.  My hands get grubby on the trail and do an excellent job at mucking up the screen.  At least the screen is accurate and responsive enough.  Hey, did you find a 550 case on the west side of San Jacinto?  I lost mine out there.