[pct-l] Bear boxes for thru hikers in the Sierras

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Sun Jun 27 18:38:51 CDT 2010

http://www.onthetrail.org/Images/map032107.pdf

This map says where you need to carry bear canisters.  If you are going
to camp in a purple area that has not bear boxes, you need to carry a
canister.  Warner Springs Monty did a nice write up of this last year i
think it was.  it should be in the archives.

A couple years ago I planned a trip starting at Trail Pass, down to the
Kern River, up that to Lake South America, over the hump to tyndall
creek, and back to trail pass.  Cottonwood Pass is a "quota" trailhead
and you had to have a reservation or hope there weren't so many people
you had to participate in a lottery.  I believe we would have had to
carry a canister if we'd entered here as it goes directly into a
canister required area.  Note the above map talks about a "food storage
locker requirement area."  This means you can use the bear box rather
than a canister.

http://climber.org/data/BearBoxes/map.html

This is a decent map saying where bear boxes are located.  Note you can
click on the name and get a topo with bear box locations.  When we got
our permit i argued that we would be staying at bear box locations each
night we were on the trail.  This was legal two years ago.  We didn't
need to carry canisters.  We were issued a permit at the Lone Pine
Regional Center with the issuing ranger totally cognizant we weren't
carrying canisters.

Jeffrey Olson
Santa Rosa, CA