[pct-l] NOBO or SOBO July-August?

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Jun 25 09:05:55 CDT 2010

On Jun 24, 2010, at 7:48 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> I'm so confused! I've been trying to figure out how to spend July
> and August
> hiking (either north or south) without having to deal with snow
>
> 1.       Start July 9th from Walker Pass/Onyx and hike north. ( I
> have a
> ride and someone to start off with me which would be great.) This
> would put
> me at Kennedy Meadows about July 13th and in Tuolumne Meadows about
> July
> 30th. Any guesses on snow conditions then?
>
> 2.       Start July 2nd in Ashland and hike south. (I have a ride into
> Ashland that day-I live in San Fran). This would put me in Seiad
> Valley
> about July 7th and Castella about July 13th. Snow?

I don't think you are going to get to spend July and August hiking
without dealing with snow.

I think of your two choices, both will involve snow. This is what you
get to choose from:

1. Pros:
- A significant long stretch at the beginning without snow (your
first difficult snow probably around Forester Pass)
- Where there is snow there will be foot prints to follow
- Lots of other people around
Cons:
- That significant long stretch without snow is going to be
significantly hot
- Possibility of some swollen snow-melt streams in the High Sierras

2. Pros:
- The bigger streams have bridges
- The snow will probably diminish over time during your visit until
there is none
Cons:
- Probably will encounter snow right away and in some places it could
be difficult to manage
- You'll see a lot less people and foot prints

Given the snow issue, I'd go with number 1. If there was no snow, I'd
go with number 2 since I really liked that area more than the High
Sierra. But I'm strange that way.

Books I've written:
~ Piper's Flight
~ Adventure and Magic
~ Santa Barbara Hikes
http://stores.lulu.com/dianesoini

We're not here for a long time, but we are here for a good time