[pct-l] NOBO or SOBO July-August?

Cate White cwhite at mcn.org
Thu Jun 24 09:48:33 CDT 2010

I'm so confused! I've been trying to figure out how to spend July and August
hiking (either north or south) without having to deal with snow and I'm
getting different answers from different people. Maybe no one can tell me
which hike to take since no one really knows when the snow will melt. It
seems that hiking south to north would follow the snow melt as the snow
melts south to north. But, I'm gathering that Tuolumne Meadows might stay
snowed in after points further north are melted. Anyway, looking at my two
options, whatcha think?

1.       Start July 9th from Walker Pass/Onyx and hike north. ( I have a
ride and someone to start off with me which would be great.) This would put
me at Kennedy Meadows about July 13th and in Tuolumne Meadows about July
30th. Any guesses on snow conditions then?

2.       Start July 2nd in Ashland and hike south. (I have a ride into
Ashland that day-I live in San Fran). This would put me in Seiad Valley
about July 7th and Castella about July 13th. Snow?

Central-Northern CA are really my two options given my current location,
ride availability, and preference.

Thanks!

Cate