[pct-l] Marble Mtn Wilderness trail conditions

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Tue Jun 22 18:37:18 CDT 2010

Hi everyone!  I am planning to spend about 6 days wandering in and around
Marble Mtn Wilderness in Northern California in mid-July.  Some of the trip
will be on the PCT.  My wife, Cindy, will be with me, and she does not like
hiking in snow as much as I do.  I have not checked the snowpack reports for
California yet, but I am looking for a prediction of the conditions up there
for the mid-July time-frame.  Thanks!
~~
Don't let a little bit too much snow change your mind. I hiked up to Cliff
Lake for the summer solstice. The lake was still snow covered and frozen,
but I found a great open campsite. I crossed only a few snow sections above
Campbell lake, and it seemed to be less snow than 2008. Beyond that point
was pretty much all snow. From what I've seen from my recent local trips,
currently the south slopes are melting out fast up to 6500-7000ft (+). The
north slopes are still holding deep snow, but by mid July the Marbles will
be ready for most anyone. I still think July 1 is a good time for
experienced hikers to hike on the PCT, however an ice axe would be
recommended, since you will be hiking on long stretches of snow. The north
faces are icy in the morning, and a few will hold snow into late July. The
old PCT route above Cliff lake looked very foreboding and icy, and I
wouldn't try it without an ice axe.