[pct-l] I am having trouble posting to the PCT web site.

Georgi Heitman bobbnweav at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 19:33:49 CDT 2010

Sparrow and Steel-Eye, etc.
We had two hikers here at The Hideaway who are SOBO'ing from Castella to
Whitney...The got over, around and under the many blown-down and uprooted
trees plus very deep snow on steep slopes by using their GPS.  Said they
wouldn't have made their way thru w/o it.  They left here last Monday,
headed south.  I haven't checked with Drakesbad, the guest ranch w/in Lassen
Nat'l Pk. to see if they made it over the trail's summit in the Pk., but if
they did, they're probably on their way to Belden as I post this.
Unfortunately, I have no way to check, except maybe with the Belden P.O.
lady, who may or may not give me that info...(I'm not even sure they had a
box waiting for them there).  I don't believe the T.A.'s who reside for
about six weeks in Belden each summer will have arrived yet from their home
back east.
My personal advise is that no one should try navigating the trail north out
of Belden, over the summit w/in Lassen Nat'l Pk.  or north of Red Mountain
in Section O w/o being well acquainted with GPS or should be traveling
alone, as streams that are often trickles or dry by this time of year will
surely be running swift and deep right now and probably for the next two to
three weeks at least.  Here, at 4550 feet, it's just barely what I'd call
warm in the sun.  In the shade, when there's a breeze and/or as the sun
starts down in the evening, it gets plumb darn cold very quickly...and the
two highest points on the trail between Belden and here are at 7100 feet and
6800 (roughly) feet.  It'll take a while for that to all melt if things
don't heat up a lot more.  After last summer's wild fires here, a slow melt
isn't bothering me in the least...it's frustrating to hikers tho and I'm
sorry about that.
I will say this...after the two young men mentioned above showed up
here....I realize how much more since 2006, the hiking community has
embraced GPS.  I'm cautiously revising my possible dates for getting to Old
Station from north or south based on that.  It's a rather scary revision, as
only the holder of a GPS device knows how skilled they are in it's use...
and I don't want to feel responsible for injury or worse if anyone w/o it
decides they're skilled or strong or lucky enough to attempt to go where
no-one has gone before...w/o proper navigation equipment.  Even with a Spock
or a Data in tow.......
By the way...is there anyone out there who might have a suggestion as to why
I'm not getting any of the several-times-a-day list of posts from the pct-l,
and how I might fix the problem?  I assumed at first that I'd somehow gotten
unregistered, but when I tried to re-do it, I was informed I was already in
the list's system and I really couldn't be registered twice.  As a result, I
have no idea, unless someone's posted me privately, what questions re the
trail have been on the list's posts but I haven't seen.  I've been too busy
to check the archives......and I'm sorry about that too.
Thanks for any help.....
FireFly, from The Hideaway at Old Station.