[pct-l] section o

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Jun 17 17:06:28 CDT 2010

On Jun 17, 2010, at 8:30 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> When I was a kid growing up in far NorCal, it was called "snow
> load"...
> Very much as Radar described, but it was usually the combination of
> heavy wet
> snow hanging on the tall evergreens, a drop in temperature after
> the storm had
> cleared, then followed by relatively strong winds...
> The trees start swaying back & forth in the wind and with the
> weight of the snow
> load up high in the trees, they snap off when the combo sway/weight
> is too much...

I wondered what happened to all the trees when I walked through acres
of dead trees all broken off in the middle. I thought they looked
burned and wondered how they all broke in the middle. Are they not
burned and breaking them off at the middle is what kills them? Or did
they suffer both fates and burn, too? They looked white with bark
that looked blackened. I can't remember if I ever walked through live
trees broken in the middle or dead ones that didn't also look burned.

Books I've written:
~ Piper's Flight
~ Adventure and Magic
~ Santa Barbara Hikes
http://stores.lulu.com/dianesoini

We're not here for a long time, but we are here for a good time