[pct-l] Carrying Meat

Steve McAllister brooklynkayak at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 19:15:52 CDT 2010

Regarding carrying meat on the trail,

Dried Italian style salami,  Jerky and many others keeps well for multiple days.
One item that I learned from the old timers is to dehydrate lean
salted thin strips of various meats and then grind the dried strips
into a powder. A food preocessor makes an easy job of it.
It is about the lightest and most concentrated source of meat protein
The powder reconstitutes quickly and can be combined with oil, and
other dehydrated items like potatoes, pasta, lentils, diced onions,
peppers, carrots, ... to give a healthy tasty variety.
Most of my trail protein comes from nuts, peanut butter, sesame paste,
cheese and dehydrated cooked lentils, but the ground dehydrated meat
and salami helps add variety and another source of protein.
I will also use the tuna and chicken packets from time to time when
they are convenient.

stevie

--
The sooner all the animals are extinct, the sooner we'll find their money.
- Ed Bluestone