[pct-l] Sorta OT - Reaction to Abby Sunderland's Rescue

Ed Franqui eddyfca at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 11:15:47 CDT 2010

Is the assumption then that anyone who needs rescue is unprepared?  How many
experts have needed help?  No matter how prepared, you may still get into
trouble.  This girl knew how to sail, and she managed herself in many storms
and most of the way around the planet, used good judgement to call off the
record attempt when she had equipment failure, and even after losing her
rigging did not panic and used the emergency services that are there just
for this purpose.

Many people are making the assumption that because she's 16 and needed a
rescue, that she was unprepared.  What if it was a couple, on a 5 year
voyage around the ocean, who lost their rigging?  Would we all still have
the same outrage?

Lastly, when it comes to cost, that's a funny thing.  People add up, for
example, it costs to use the Coast Guard for 3 days.  The truth is, we would
be paying it anyway!  And frankly, we all pay our tax dollars for them, they
are not a pay for service entity.  That does not mean we should be flippant
and disregard safety.  What it does mean however is that if people are
taking appropriate risks, we should expect help and not hear from the peanut
gallery about what it cost.  And to deflect some flame, by appropriate risk
I mean putting oneself in a situation where one is prepared, trained and
competent to handle most issues that will arise.

I'm quite sure that NONE of us on this list is prepared for ALL things that
can happen on the trail.