[pct-l] GPSs & compasses

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Wed Jun 16 08:14:49 CDT 2010

Good morning, Yoshihiro,

I believe it is unwise to encourage a wilderness hiker to rely upon GPS as
their sole – or even primary – method of navigation.  I find GPS to be very
useful and technologically appealing, but having been a GPS user since the
mid-‘90s and I know from personal experience that GPS receivers can fail so
I always carry maps and a compass; further, I know how to navigate with
them.

There is a great difference between training and education.  It’s easy for
someone to be trained to use a GPS – whether it has maps or not – but if the
GPS fails there may be no alternate capability.  It is much more difficult
and time-consuming to become educated about GPS’s place in the overall
effort to become a competent navigator under various conditions and with
wide variety of equipment.

Since I know I’m always going to have maps the redundancy of GPS mapping
does not seem to be worth the weight and expense.  In terms of overall
mission reliability I would much rather carry two simple and cheap 4-ounce
receivers than one expensive and complex 8-ounce receiver.

The good news is, with the exception of individuals hiking over extensive
snow-pack, true navigation isn’t really necessary on the PCT.  The trail is
generally well marked and well maintained so typically one can hike without
any reference to maps or coordinates.  If there is confusion – or an
inability or unwillingness to navigate – one has only to follow the herd or
wait a while for another hiker to pass by with guidance.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09