[pct-l] Sorta OT - Reaction to Abby Sunderland's Rescue

G L pctair at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 15 14:54:26 CDT 2010

You're right, we should all advocate for the closing of the PCT, because otherwise, you know someone is going to need to be rescued again.

________________________________
From: Eric Lee <saintgimp at hotmail.com>

As I've written before, if people want to take huge risks with their life
then that's their prerogative.  I'm not going to stop them.

Where I really have problems is when they take huge risks, fail, and then
pull a bunch of other people into their risky situation in order to bail
them out.  In Abby's case, she forced other people to engage in a risky
boat-to-boat transfer in rough water in which I understand the captain of
the fishing vessel was actually thrown overboard but was fortunately pulled
out again without harm.

Should we (as a society) rescue dumb people from their mistakes?  Sure,
otherwise we wouldn't be able to live with ourselves.  But I think we're
entitled to feel a bit of resentment toward the people who created the
situation in the first place through their thoughtless choices.

Eric

To unsubcribe, or change options visit: