[pct-l] Sections L and M Snow Report?

Bill Langton blangton at blangton.com
Sat Jun 12 21:21:31 CDT 2010

I can't comment directly on the trail conditions but I can comment on the snow pack in the Donner Summit area.

While there are numerous bare spots visible on Donner Summit and along I-80, the trail still looks to be mostly snow covered.  I drove over Donner yesterday and noted the tunnel under the freeway was flooded and there was lots of snow (several feet) both north and south of the freeway.  Even at Lake level (6225) around Tahoe, there are numerous patches of snow in the shade.  Boreal Ridge, the ski area at Donner Summit, could still be open based on their snow coverage.  We are still experiencing below freezing temps here in the Tahoe / Truckee area at night and the melt is still progressing rather slowly.  Daytime highs have only reached the 70's on a couple of occasions.  The areas that have melted are a wet, muddy mess.

Good luck with your section...

Bill

- -
Bill Langton (blangton at blangton.com)