[pct-l] Post Office resupply stops

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Jun 12 13:13:50 CDT 2010

On Jun 12, 2010, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> I've used Craig's Online PCT planner to help get my trip figured
> out, along
> with the PCT data book (Ashland to Red's Meadow). And I'll probably
> bring
> the PCT atlases on the trail with me for the maps.
>

> I'm kinda confused about something though: The resupply stops on
> Craig's
> online planner don't always list Post Offices as being available,
> yet the
> PCT data book gives PO addresses for all the resupply stops that
> are listed
> in the online planner. Huh? Why is this? Am I missing something?

The PCT Data Book is a more comprehensive list. Craig's planner
provides a sort of vague idea of where places are. I wouldn't put a
lot of faith in its accuracy. For example, I hiked at a consistent
2.5 miles per hour for 13 hours per day. At that rate his planner has
me finishing in 2.7 months! In reality I took something closer to 5.5
months.

> This looks like it's gonna be my plan:
> http://www.pctplanner.com/resupply.php  I'm going to bounce a box
> ahead of
> me to each stop (where I'm counting on there being a Post Office I
> can send
> my box out from.) Anyone see any glaring problems or have any
> advice or
> thoughts? Just wanted to run it by some other people. Thanks.
Your plan is not visible by the link, so going by your other
information, I would only suggest that:

1) Bouncing a box to every stop is going to be too often (but you'll
figure that out soon enough and adjust) and
2) Now that you have a plan, don't be surprised if you throw it out
somewhere like Warner Springs or Big Bear.

It's good to know where the post offices and stores are, but a lot of
detailed planning really is not necessary. Hiking the trail is a lot
like regular life. Organized people make out meal plans for the week
and once a week or so go shopping for the ingredients. Same for the
trail, only your schedule is by how many days to the next town.

Days to the next town are really easy to determine because you take
distance to the next town and divide by your daily miles. Your daily
miles are harder to determine and are likely to be a lot more than
you think, but you'll figure that out soon enough, and that'll be the
day you file your detailed plan in the round file. Either that day or
the day you realize being enslaved by the US Post Office really sucks.

> Cate

Books I've written:
~ Piper's Flight
~ Adventure and Magic
~ Santa Barbara Hikes
http://stores.lulu.com/dianesoini

We're not here for a long time, but we are here for a good time