[pct-l] Tarptent Cloudburst 2

Tom Weir tom_d_w at hughes.net
Tue Jun 8 23:06:44 CDT 2010

Hello Bastian,

I have used the Cloudburst for about five years, including the PCT in 2007
and the GET last fall.  It is a great tent.  It is not ultra-light. It
weighs 2.5 pounds (1.13 kg).  It is easy to set up. I insert the poles,
stake out the rear guyline, and then pull the two front guylines tight.  Set
up takes two or three minutes.  I seldom stake out the sides unless it is
windy or raining.  Side winds will cause the sides to bow in and rain drains
better if the tent is stretched tight, so use the side guylines in these
conditions.  In windy condition, I set it up with the door into the wind.
This is opposite of what Henry Shires suggests.  I find that the wind
inflates the tent and reduces flapping.  I have never had rain blow in the
door if the beak is closed.  The Cloudburst does well in rain.  I hiked the
Olympic Coast in November.  It rained four inches in three days.  Of the
three tents on the trip, my Cloudburst was the only one that didn't soak its
occupants.  The other two were conventional double walled tents.  I believe
condensation, not leakage, was their down fall.  I also stayed dry on the
PCT near Snoqualmie pass in 2007.  You know how wet and snowy it was then.
Stake it out tight in rain.  A friend adds stakes at each corner of his
Cloudburst.  He attaches a loop of light bungee cord to the stakes and then
puts the ends of the tent poles through the loops to hold the floor of the
tent tight.  He is an engineer and has to have everything perfect.  You know
how those engineers are.

My Cloudburst has been very durable.  I was worried about the silnylon
floor, but mine has held up for close to 4000 miles with no leaks.  Those
miles include a lot of desert gravel.  I have had some problems with the
zippers in dusty or sandy conditions.  I found that rinsing them under a
faucet solves the sticking problems.  Overall it is a great tent.

Are you planning another long hike?

Tom