[pct-l] Anyone know how to get to Red's Meadow Resort from the trail?

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Tue Jun 8 11:48:56 CDT 2010

On Jun 8, 2010, at 12:26 PM, Austin Williams wrote:

> I've never been to Red's Meadow Resort.  Google Earth says it's just west of
> Bishop.  Is that true?  Why would anyone resupply that far off trail when
> Mammoth Lakes PO is just 8 miles off the trail?

Red's Meadow Resort is in the Devils' Postpile National Monument as is the PCT.
Red's Meadow is just a short walk from the trail (couple of minutes).
Note that 'Resort' really means camping, showers, cafe, camp store, etc.

The park bus is typically used by hikers to get out of the Postpile and
into Mammoth. The bus will drop you off at the bottom of the ski area.
From there you'll need to hitch or take the town shuttle bus.  There is
a fee for use of the park bus ($7).

Maps: <http://www.nps.gov/depo/planyourvisit/maps.htm>

The PCT runs the length of the monument as does the road and park bus.
Red's Meadow is at the end of the road but you could pick up the bus from
the trail in several locations.  Depending on your timing and direction of
travel you might want to get the bus at a stop other than Red's Meadow:

Agnew Meadow
Soda Springs Campground
Ranger Station
Reds Meadow