[pct-l] PCT Question

Georgi Heitman bobbnweav at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 13:12:11 CDT 2010

An update for those of you who are wondering what new in Old Station as far
a snow goes....the last we saw coming down here at 4500+ feet was two weeks
ago  It's snowed at higher elevations tho.  So, if you're entertaining
thoughts of coming here anytime real soon, basically, my suggestion is that
instead, you entertain thoughts of starting here later    That being around
the end of June/first of July, unless you really, really like snow, rushing
streams that are deep, and in places that at this time of year they
shouldn't still be, blown-down and up-rooted trees laying like pick-up
sticks across where the trail normally is, and you're pretty darned
proficient with map, GPS (and compasses that are somewhat unreliable in our
iron-clad volcanic mountains).  If you don't fit any/all of that
description, you might find something else to do for a while.  If you're not
all that local, and have unchangeable plane tickets or something,
come...rent a car, drive some of the CA. coast line, Big Sur and/or the
Redwoods come to mind, great numbers of hiking trails both places...the Lost
Coast is beautiful, challenging and provides opportunities to hug a
Redwood,....or-r-r.....visit the Napa Valley, view it from a balloon
provided by Napa Valley Balloons, Inc., who kindly fulfilled # 28 on my
Bucket List early last month.  There's lots to do around here, that's why we
love it so.......
Basically, my message this year is an echo of the one I repeated and
repeated (mostly to no avail) in 2006.  'You can't get more than a day or
two either direction out of Old Station!'  That year, our first hikers thru
between Belden and Old Station from the south and the first one thru from
Castle Crags SP up north, arrived between July 1 and 3.  You can get from
BFSP to Old Station...that's about 2 to 2 1/2 days...a long drive up here
for very little hiking. The trail thru Lassen rarely opens before the road
does...both have a big mountain to the west/southwest of them....and the
folks in the Park who are in-the-know, say an early July road opening is
expected, all things being equal.  But please be in touch with us
occasionally.  You're very welcome here at The Hideaway,...tho early in the
season, advanced notice is happily received....if nothing's open to the
south, just expect to be given a job while you're here........
Because that's something that's possible if you do have unchangeable travel
arrangements and also a slim pocketbook that factors out rental cars,
balloon rides and such-like....  Come on up...I'm running light on set-up
help that's especially needed this year due to FW's mending broken
shoulder.  In spite of P.T. and really good progress, he still can't lift
his arm too high, or pull too hard with it.  IF the rain ever quits, the
ground ever* *dries out, etc...we'll need to move fast to have things ready
when hikers do begin to get thru.  The out-back's been raked once, but that
was over a month ago, it needs branches and pine cones removed again, the
tall grass mowed, tents erected, I'll need help and very possibly some
creative thinking on getting my cook-shack tent back up and then set up to
be useable.  Decks, railings and picnic tables, benches, park benches to
sand and recoat...and in a case or two, repair. There are overhead (big)
water pipes to be mended, a washing machine for hikers that may or may not
have survived the winter, and a hot tub that (again) may or may not be
fixable.  Also, always yard work, mowing, weeding, gopher wars,
brush-clearing, creek clearing, chainsaw work...on 5 acres coming out from
under a 6 month (and counting) winter, the fun never ends around here.  I
don't expect everything on my to-do list to happen....but so much of it
benefits hikers, like repaired and replaced railings and balustrades around
the tree house deck, duff raked around buildings and fire circles and wood
cut for the fire circles. back-stops built for the horse shoe pit, etc.,
etc.......  Again...we need to know in advance!
So, there are the suggestions from FireFly...not much thru-hiking to be had
on the PCT in mid-to-northern CA, but there are other trails build for
walking, it's a state filled with wonders to be seen and The Hideaway at Old
Station, equally filled with things to do.
What's YOUR plan?
FireFly...from The Hideaway at Old Station
P.S.  Rees, email me.....latest plans are....?