[pct-l] tendonitis

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Jun 2 08:23:51 CDT 2010

You can get tendonitis carrying nothing.

I believe I got tendonitis in my heel by pushing myself too hard up
hills. Bad walking form compounded by too many miles contributed to
other similar injuries.

My pack weight was low (~12lbs base weight) and I wore running shoes.

It is still worth reducing your pack weight and wearing more flexible
shoes. You are going to be hiking too many miles anyway so you may as
well not further compound the contributing factors to injury by
adding too much weight and stiff, inflexible shoes that may interfere
with the natural motion of your feet.

Diane

On Jun 1, 2010, at 11:10 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> g'day dan, i'm interested in your tendonitis...  i've previously had
> tendonitis a couple of times in my shin-ankle region - both feet
> but not
> simultaneously. both times i was able to keep walking (albeit with
> probably
> too much ibuprofen & NSAIDs - and fairly excruciating pain for some
> days)
> and within 2 weeks to a month the inflammation had gone down.  in
> the past
> i've always been a traditional bushwalker - and as a leader and
> teacher have
> carried up to 35kg at times. i've been working on the theory that the
> tendonitis is caused in part by the weight of my boots and pack,
> and if i
> reduce these significantly i'll be free of the tendonitis. your
> post is a
> little concerning - might destroy my theory.
>
> can i ask what your pack weight is, and what type of footwear you
> wear?
>
> cheers, skids

Books I've written:
~ Piper's Flight
~ Adventure and Magic
~ Santa Barbara Hikes
http://stores.lulu.com/dianesoini

We're not here for a long time, but we are here for a good time