[pct-l] how much money to save an ounce

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 1 01:41:12 CDT 2010

Tortoise wrote:

I am comparing silnylon vs. cuben fibre stuff sacks over on the ZPacks.com
website. I'm also a (retired) accountant and sometimes love to analyze. So I
did a little spreadsheet to compare the cost to save an ounce or a pound or
a gram or a kilogram for the various sizes I'm interested in.

Hmmm.  So given a rate of $448 per pound, and the fact that my pack weighs
about 14 pounds, let's see . . . I could pay someone $6,300 to be my own
personal Sherpa and carry all of my gear a respectful distance behind me
while I cheerfully slackpack my way to Canada.  What a deal!

Sorry, can't tell if you were trying to be serious or not.  :-)

In all seriousness, I'd guess that the vast majority of us could shave a few
ounces off our gear weight at a cost significantly less than $28 per ounce
if we really wanted to.  I'd only mess around with cuben stuff sacks if I'd
exhausted every cheaper avenue for saving weight.  And even then only if I
didn't have anything better to do with the money.

Eric