[pct-l] Launch spot near Ashland

Nikii Murtaugh boundforadventure at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 15:03:27 CDT 2010

Cate -

>From what I remember in 2008 concerning water, there was an abundance of
little springs that ran across the trail.  In fact, one was gushing and
reminded me of a hose on blast.  I don't think lack of water would be a
concern.  What about leaving the car at Mt. Ashland CG?  Perhaps reserving a
spot for a few days...
http://activities.wildernet.com/pages/activity.cfm?actid=050504IO*54078cg

We stayed at the Grouse Gap shelter.  In Erik's PCT Atlas, he shows the
water off to the south.  I seem to remember that the water was just down the
hill from the shelter to the left, which I think is North.  There were a lot
of reeds and willows but it was plentiful.  We also found a spring on Road
20.

Hope this helps.

Clippers

Good morning, Cate,

Most of the ?roads? shown on the maps for that part of S. Oregon are
questionable, particularly this early after the snow melts.  The access road
to the Mt. Ashland facilities is probably open, but west of there they may
not be open.  Much depends upon the USFS plans to open them for some reason.
Further west ? passing just a few hundred yards north of the Cal/Or PCT
border crossing ? there is another, probably larger, forest road.  I?ve been
on it many times, but again, it may not yet be open.  That road is
accessible south from Medford or Grants Pass.  It would be best to contact
the appropriate USFS Ranger District Office for information; and don?t
forget to tell them what kind of a vehicle you plan to drive.  The terms
?road?, ?open?, and ?passable? are highly variable attributes.

Except for the area around Mt. Lassen you won?t be in any parks.  Most of
that whole stretch is Forest Service or BLM land where you can camp wherever
you please.  Even the private land holders in the area abide hikers so
access is substantially continuous the entire way.  Obviously you will avoid
a posted area, or some facilities? green lawn.

Enjoy your hike.  I?ll be hiking part of that NoBo myself, needing to book
the two fire closures from ?08.  Maybe I?ll see you heading south.

Enjoy,

Steel-Eye

Hiking the Pct since before it was the PCT ? 1965

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 7:12 AM, Cate White <cwhite at mcn.org> wrote:

> Hey All,
>
> Looks like I'm headed out Friday for my July-August SOBO adventure from
> Ashland. Couple more questions:
>

> My folks are dropping me off and want to hike in with me for the first
> night. I'm looking at my guide book and wondering where the best spot to
do
> that might be. I need it to be a safe place to leave their car overnight.
> And I'm seeing that there's a 12 mile stretch with no water between
> Callahans/Cross Road 20/Cross Road 40S15 to Mt. Ashland Campground and
what
> looks like the next Road crossing (40S12, Siskiyou Gap, Sheep Camp
Spring.)