[pct-l] Sierra in September

gwschenk at socal.rr.com gwschenk at socal.rr.com
Tue Jul 20 12:54:41 CDT 2010

---- Sue Krafft <smkrafft54 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Planning on hiking the Sierra in September, NB.  I figured we might get
> snowed on.  Anyone have any experience hiking from say Walker Pass to
> Tuolumne Meadows in September/early Oct.?  Last year, I left off at
> Tehachapi after a foot injury and was hoping to get in a good 300-400 miles
> before the snow flies.  Thanks ahead for any suggestions.

September is the best month for hiking in the Sierra. The monsoons of July and the T-storms of August are over, the mosquitoes are only a bad memory, and the stream crossings are easy. You might get some snow in early October, but probably nothing major. Expect frosty mornings and cold nights.

Walker Pass will more than likely be very hot in early September, Kennedy Meadows, too for that matter.
Gary