[pct-l] Hiker Trash

Brenda Murray murbre at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 11:01:00 CDT 2010

I use the term "Hiker Trash"  as a term of endearment........ After
scrubbing the hiker bathroom at Heitman's Hideaway I am not so sure I am so
terribly fond of some of my much loved hikers!
When we, yes "WE", have the stamina to walk into foreign land, we do so as
ambassadors.  As an ambassador I expect each and everyone of us to use the
LNT ethic.  How about this ethic carrying over into the homes that have been
graciously opened for our benefit?  When finished with that dirty towel,
take a moment to wipe down the shower, sink and perhaps the floor you have
just stood upon with trashed feet moments before.  It is not just the
donation basket that needs our gentle touch, but the homes we are invading.
Our wonderful trail angels and the angels volunteering their time need our
assistance as well.
Many of us have Mothers or Grandmothers the age of a few of the angels that
grace you with a loving home for an hour, day or two....Would we truly leave
our wet towel on the floor, or our recycle sitting around where ever we
happen to be sitting?  Wait!  Maybe some would, if so as a grandmother I
would personally be offended by the lack of respect shown by this behavior.
Lives have been dedicated to PCT users...Can we all just take a moment to
say thanks not just with empty words, but in our actions?
I know I am preaching to the choir, just needed to vent.  Thanks for taking
the time to stop, read and perhaps store in your memory bank.
Sqwiggle
"The rivers flow not past, but through us, thrilling, tingling, vibrating
every fiber and cell of our bodies, making them glide and sing." - John Muir