[pct-l] Sonora Pass Report

Hank Magnuski hankm at mtinet.com
Wed Jul 7 14:16:24 CDT 2010

I just got back from doing some trail magic at Sonora Pass and here's the news:

>From 2:00 pm on Sunday, July 4th, until 6:00 pm Tuesday, July 6th, I recorded a
total of 39 thru-hikers coming or going through Sonora Pass. This includes
people I met leaving for or returning from Bridgeport or Kennedy Meadows (North)
and those going straight through without resupply.

Monday was a very busy day, with 25 hikers listed on my register.

It's very encouraging to know that so many hikers have made it successfully
through the Sierras in this very tough year. I was expecting four or five per
day, and was completely surprised by Monday's tally.

Most hikers came down the north face of the snow bowl using a combination of
foot skiing, glissading and scrambling over rocks (the trail itself is still
completely unusable). None reported incidents or near-misses. One decided to use
the Leavitt Lake bypass. So it appears that with some caution and care the entry
into Sonora Pass from the south is now manageable.

Reports from day hikers indicate a few patches of snow around the Sonora Peak
saddle, but generally easy conditions northbound from the Pass.  That's good
news, as nearly every hiker I spoke with was totally ready to leave the snow
behind. Many had plans to do 25-28 mile days to make up for the lost time. What
a great group of hikers intent on finishing the trail despite the odds.

On Wednesday I met Half-Ounce, who was in good health and spirits after
his recuperation.

In the mountains-will-be-mountains department, we were hit Wednesday afternoon
with a surprise storm around 3:00 pm that included ground-strike lightning, hail
pellets (nearly 1/2 inch in diameter) that left the ground white and lots of
rain. I certainly hope none of our hikers were caught on the ridge by this
storm, as it made conditions treacherous and was an excellent hypothermic
opportunity. Certainly a reminder to keep an eye on the weather and put your
safety ahead of your schedule.

Cheers to the Class of 2010,

Hank