[pct-l] WA detour questions for Southbounders

Steve Cosner stevec at sfsu.edu
Mon Jul 5 17:45:16 CDT 2010

Bonnie Peterson wrote:
> Do the southbounders from Manning Park have any info on the following:
>
>1.Suiattle River crossing:
>-has anyone done it this year? What time of day, where in relation to
the trail, any other advice?

A group of four SOBO crossed the Siuattle River on the log on July 2.
My son reports there are two logs now, and it was easy crossing.

But on July 4, the group of four bailed off the PCT where Milk Creek
crosses.  They have apparently had enough of wandering around in 50-foot
visibility white-out looking for the trail buried under several feet of
snow.  About the only thing that would have helped them is a gps with
waypoints every 100 yards.  Spyder is still on the trail solo -- she was
going more slowly.

Their descent on the Milk Creek trail was a mistake -- no maintenance
since 2003, with brush and downed trees all the way.  And then the
campground and road is closed.  Fortunately the sheriff was alerted to
their bailing on that route.  The road into Sulfur Creek campground is
closed ten miles below the campground, and the sheriff drove in to check
on them and gave them a ride out.

They will likely move to Andrea Dinsmore's at Stevens Pass by this
evening, (July 5).

To find more on this groups progress on www.whitneyzone.com, see:

http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads.php/topics/5471/Brett_s_PCT_Adventure#Post5471
or Google:  Brett PCT Adventure