[pct-l] US Border Crossing Warning

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Fri Jul 2 10:14:33 CDT 2010

On Jul 2, 2010, at 10:55 AM, Scott Herriott wrote:
> "The U.S. Border Patrol is warning hikers on the Pacific Crest Trail they could face arrest, jail and a $5,000 fine if they cross the U.S.-Canadian border improperly.The Wenatchee World reports that the agency sent a letter last month urging the Pacific Crest Trail Association to warn hikers to only enter the U.S. at designated border crossings."

> So does that mean that, legally, you're supposed get to the monument, turn around, get to a road then hitch in if you want to visit Canada?  If so, what a crock.

Squatch your comment doesn't make sense to me.  It sounds like the Border Patrol is simply emphasizing/publicizing the fact that SOBO crossings at the monument have always been illegal and perhaps that they are going to step up enforcement of the rule (i.e. nothing new here).

NOBO crossings are legal with an approved 'Entry to Canada' form but the US has never had a similar administrative process for SOBO crossings as far as I know.

There has been an uptick in news stories about remote border crossings.  There are several in the Northeast that have been associated with drug trafficking and others where the border splits communities and/or private property and where enforcement has caused a certain amount of frustration by the locals.

Radar