[pct-l] Section F and part G hike and water report.

Paul Cronshaw beemancron at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 1 02:16:42 CDT 2010

I hiked Section F and part of Section G last week. A full moon added a special treat. Some long waterless stretches added extra weight to my lightweight pack.

Met a few thru-hikers: Staxs, Slip & Die and Stitch, Chipper, Grinder, Ursa Major, Flyboxer, and Mark the Answerman; taking their time to enter the snowy Sierras. The weather was nice; it could have been brutal at this time of the year.

Since the Section G water report has not been updated since middle of June, here are my observations:

June 27

663.7 Stream past rough dirt road (seasonal) - Dry

664.1 Joshua Tree Spring - water - still 2 liters per minute from pipe over trough. Note: trough water is being used by "friendly" mother bear and her two cubs for bathing.

June 28

668 Branch of Spanish Needle Creek (with campsites on bank). Small pool at trail crossing for filtering Approx 1 LPM

669 Spring-fed branch of Spanish Needle Creek - Small waterfall running well

670.3 Spanish Needle Creek (3rd encounter) still just a trickle 1/2 liter per minute  (The last one before heading up the hill)

678.8 Seasonal creek  - dry

 681.3 Canebrake Road- water (stream with a good flow and clean water)

  ~681.8 Seasonal stream - dry

  683.6 Fox Mill Spring water - water trough spigot is dripping; creek had nice flow.

 689.6 Long Valley Loop Rd  - dry creek

 June 29

694.0 First creek in Rockhouse Basin ("Manter Cr") water - good flow with clear water.

 697.4 Seasonal creek - dry

 698.8 South Fork Kern River - lots plenty of water in the river, muddy color

 ~699.3 Pine Creek flowing well about 1 ft wide and 4-6 inches deep over trail.

Posted some pictures of my hike at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/beemancron/2010PCTSectionFAndPartGHwy58ToKennedyMeadows#

Happy Trails

The Beeman

PS Wondering who is the Caboose thru-hiker this year?