[pct-l] Sock it to me

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Sun Jan 31 18:50:48 CST 2010

Pretty thin, tight socks work for me - the cheaper the better.  I
haven't had a blister in 10 years plus due to socks.  My 14EEEE shoes
match well with L socks.  They fit tightly...  XL socks  bunch up.  I
wore those for day hikes and went back to what my long section hikes
taught me.

Remember, it's friction - which creates heat, combined with moisture -
sweat - that creates blisters.  The best blister control on top of
relatively thin, tight socks, is airing the feet/socks every hour or so.

I don't think cushioning is something to look for in socks.  That's the
insole.  It's like a sleeping bag - why have compressed down underneath
you???  Opinions???

I never pay more than $4 for a pair of socks.  Monitor campmor or your
favorite outdoor gear site.

Jeffrey Olson
Martin, SD