[pct-l] Lazy Responders

AsABat asabat at 4jeffrey.net
Sat Jan 30 21:28:20 CST 2010

Well I've only been on line since Compuserve (remember the Outdoor
Forum?) so I guess I'm a noob. I used to bottom post but now with the
volume of mail I choose to top post. I read each email in order
posted, and have no desire to read the original post repeated just to
find the reply. Top posting lets me skip the quoted material unless I
need context. (I usually edit the quoted text to just enough to give
context to my post.) The exception is when I mix my response in and
among parts of the quoted material, as in:

>What do we do about X?

This.

>What do we do about Y?

Yes, there are procedures established by "them." I don't know "them",
but do know policies change. I still have secretaries, sorry,
administrative assistants, who insist on putting two spaces after a
period. That rule was established when we all used pica type on a
fixed pitch typewriter. With proportional fonts and software that
varies character spacing, the rule is obsolete.

Likewide, bottom posting made sense when we were all on dial up
(anyone remember upgrading to 1200 baud?) and would delete all
messages but the last to save time. Now, when I can download 100
messages in a few seconds (90 of which are spam) I contend top posting
is if not obsolete at least no longer necessary.

To each their own. HYOH. But please, edit quoted text, especially if
on digest mode.

And I'm a member of probably a hundred forums, most of which I forget
to check into with any regularity, but PCT-L in my inbox is fast and
easy.

AsABat