[pct-l] you are in the minority of ohv

Bill Burge bill at burge.com
Fri Jan 29 18:18:47 CST 2010

Sorry to hear that, and I'm not surprised ('cause, apparently, I'm in
the minority).

BUT, when we're out with the Jeep, we go slow around kids and dogs
(you never know when one you DON'T see is gonna pop out from
somewhere!), slow around horses (while many are very well behaved that
DO have a mind of there own and will sometimes do the unexpected when
surprised), watch out for bikers, and always keep an eye out for hikers.

I know that part of it is that I have gone on trail:  (but not all at
the same time!) with kids, on horseback, on foot, on mountain bike, on
motorcycle, on ATV, and on snowshoe.

Since I was raised in the desert, I know that if it's hot - stop and
make sure the "hiker" you see isn't somebody who broke down a ways
back.  Make sure everyone has enough water (I carry about 8 gallons in
my Jeep on a trail run, it's good for so many things).  No matter what
the mode of transportation someone is using, if they looks distressed
or even unhappy - stop and say "everything all right here?"

I pulled people who were stuck (and given a little advice afterwords -
nothing in life is "free" ;-)  I've lent tools.  I've given rides to
town. And I've given out a bunch of water.

BillB