[pct-l] New Webcam List

William A. Chavez wctrekker at dslextreme.com
Wed Jan 27 19:19:28 CST 2010

Brian needs to go out and get himself a new "Gadget."  Suggestion:
The new I-Pad.

<side note>
Of course that's the peril of an individual starting something like
this ---
that it won't be maintained.  If possible I think the best long term
approach is for such volunteer-focused sites is when there's a
*group*, a
small community dedicated to maintaining and perhaps extending the
content.
No criticism intended here (!), just thinking out loud.
For example, what happens if Postholer gets run over by a bus or shot
by a
jealous husband ... does that site just go away?  What happens if
Halfmile
tries hiking a half-mile too far, gets hypothermia, and in a muddle-
headed
state gets bit by a rattlesnake and then mauled by someone's dog
that's off
the leash or shot with a handgun in a national forest?  Or of course,
in a
more mundane way, what if a person behind a volunteer effort that the
PCT
community comes to rely on were to simply get tired of doing it?
I think that the very best volunteer efforts are those designed to
survive
and thrive after the original founder has (in whatever manner) moved on.
</side note>