[pct-l] Deep Survival

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 27 00:12:30 CST 2010

Day-Late wrote:

Hypothermia can rob you of your ability to think and to act - you have to
address the issues before it gets to that condition.

It's not just hypothermia - the human brain can do strange and bizarre
things under stressful conditions that leave you scratching your head later.
It's just the way we're wired.  It may be impossible to totally prevent the
phenomenon but it helps to be aware of it and to try to compensate for it.

For anyone interested in this topic I highly recommend the book "Deep
Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why" by Laurence Gonzales.  It's a
fascinating read with lots of information about our brain chemistry and
physiology interspersed with real-life case studies.  It'll give you an
appreciation for just how hard it is to keep from making stupid decisions in
high-risk situations.

Eric