[pct-l] What to do when bad weather looms?

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Jan 25 21:05:26 CST 2010

On Jan 25, 2010, at 5:49 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> "Oh boy, a storm is coming.  It's
> 11AM and I've got 12 miles in, but it's starting to rain and the
> wind is
> blowing 30 mph + and I get to HUNKER DOWN!!!"

My problem is, I never like to hunker down unless there are pancakes
nearby.

I agree that technology can sometimes be the most dangerous item in
your pack if it gives you a false sense of security to go beyond your
abilities. Look at those SPOT devices and cellphones and all the
people who are getting into trouble because of the false sense of
security they provide. Those people who used the SPOT because the
water tasted salty in the Grand Canyon! Oh my! Not that anyone here
is like that, but yeah. Technology doesn't make up for smarts.