[pct-l] "What's in your head?"

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Mon Jan 25 18:13:35 CST 2010

Of all the statements I've read, this one hits the nail on the head:

"If a compass and GPS gave you the confidence to enter a mountain range
under
those conditions, than they just might be the most dangerous gear in your
pack."

Modern technologies can be helpful and hazardous. Even the ice axe, carrying
one can lend a feeling of security, but if you can't recognize when to stop
forward progress and take off your axe and put it in your hand, then it is
useless. The key, here, is what are you thinking?

You can have all the waypoints entered into your
electronic-device-of-the-decade, and not know where you are. You can go from
point A to point B and not know where you've been. Are you spending all your
walking attention looking at the gps screen rather than your surroundings?
Are you more aware of the landmarks, ridge lines, creek curves, and the
shapes of meadows and tree lines in order to locate them on the topo and,
thereby, know where you are, or are you stumbling across the snow simply
staring at some electronic line on a 2" x 3" handheld screen? And if the
thing freezes, falls into the creek, batteries die, or in other ways fails,
what do you have in your memories, experience, training to fall back on? Do
you know where you are and where you are going at any given moment of the
day, anyway? This is the skill of the mountain traveler that will keep you
alive and safe.

Do you remember the Capitol One credit card ads that asked, "What's in your
wallet?"? Relative to this thread, I have to ask, "What's in your head?" If
the snowy conditions around you are setting off alarms of common sense in
your head, will you hear them? Do you know from prior practice and
experience what a dangerous snow slope looks like such that you should stop
and consider the use of your axe or beware of an avalanche? Have you poured
over your maps so well that you already know what the area looks like in
your head before you get there (so you'll know if you're going over the
wrong pass)? Are you questioning the footprints in the snow ahead of you for
guidance; are they really going the way you want to go? Can you think for
yourself, or are you relying on some electronic device to do that for you?
If it fails, you've lost.

Train, practice, and learn from those who have gone before. Do this prior to
departure. Don't hope to learn from someone else on the trail. Most of them
are "learning as they go" as well. If this is the kind of situation you want
to put yourself in, hopefully learning before you need the skill (I'm also
thinking creek crossings, here!), then I hope you come out the other end,
otherwise, be realistic and responsible for your own safety and train-up! At
least have a back-up navigational method and the skills to use it.

Mtnned