[pct-l] Eyeglass wearers

Rod Belshee rbelshee at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 24 17:25:19 CST 2010

I've tried prescription glasses plus clip-on shades. I didn't like the
hassle of protecting and cleaning the clip-ons, and needing a pocket to
carry them. I also tried using the roll-ups that you get at the optometrist,
which gave better coverage than the clip-ons but were still a convenience
hassle.

For my first thru-hike, I carried two sets of prescription glasses, one
regular and one sunglasses. I generally kept the regular glasses packed away
all day and just used them in camp, until we hit Washington in which case
the sunglasses were almost always packed away. Much easier than clip-ons and
roll-ups, which was worth it for me. My glasses weigh 0.6 ounces (17 g), my
prescription sunglasses weigh 0.8 ounces (23 g).

For the second thru-hike I carried only prescription sunglasses, and left my
regular glasses at home.  That was easy and a smidge lighter, but did make
late evening hiking or dusk camp set up more challenging (as well are
reading restaurant menus).  I did miss being able to lay at night and see
the stars.

I am familiar with the slit leather eye masks. I've hiked in the Himalayas
and never seen anyone using them. Consider them a handy survival technique
to avert desert or snow blindness, but not something you'd plan on due to
the reduced visual acuity.

If I were "semi-blind", I'd want a back up pair of glasses since I'd be
pretty twitchy getting through some areas if I lost my glasses.  I'd carry
one prescription regular glasses and one prescription sunglasses. Plastic
glasses these days are very light, so adding them in addition to my
prescription sunglasses to me that would be acceptable for the insurance. In
fact, even without being "semi-blind", I'll carry both on my next hike for
better vision at dusk and to see the stars at night.

Steady