[pct-l] Water Capacity

Ernie Castillo erniec01 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 23 06:40:38 CST 2010

So what does an empty plastic water bottle weight, anyway? Surely there is justification for this type of redundancy.

I carried a minimum of 2 bottles on my 1980 trek, and each time I left a water supply I had a pair filled and tucked into side pockets of my Jansport. But even that couldn't prevent a bout of hiker stupidity.

On my last water refresh heading toward Castle Crags, I refilled, added Tang to 1 of the bottles as was my custom, and took a snack break at a stream crossing. My mind must have been wandering because -- you guessed it -- I forgot to put the filled bottles back into my pack. And of course I was hiking alone at the time.

I didn't notice until several hours later when I stopped for a swig. Yikes! Being stubborn, I did not turn back. I looked at my map and saw what appeared to be streams ahead. Surely I would come across water before too long.

Wrong!

I kept forging ahead, every so often kicking myself for not turning back. When darkness set, I faced the music. (No Ramen for you!). I picked the raisins out of my gorp for dinner and breakfast and figured I would not have something to drink until I reached the Sacramento River.

Having grown up in the desert, and having run cross country where summer training runs of 1-2 hours without water were common, I was well adapted to the next day's challenge: several hours of hiking without water. But it was close.

Worst case of cotton mouth I ever had.

Ernie Castillo
erniec01 at hotmail.com
248 884 5201