[pct-l] Friday Funny Trail Tale

Matthew Edwards hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Fri Jan 22 11:38:37 CST 2010

Suspend your political correctness for one minute here.
So Sock's and I had hiked out of Kennedy Meadows bound for Whitneys summit. Upon that morning we hiked up out of Crabtree meadows with a purpose! Around trail pass I meet an Army dude fully decked out with fatigues,iceaxe,crampons, the works. I say hello, and cruise on by. I reach 13800 feet and take a look back down trail to see Sock's right behind "Army Dude", her flower painted trekking poles dancing to and from as she clearly was stalled behind the slow moving but well prepared dude.
So we reach the summit and celebrate with some Champagne Bonanza Jelly Bean gave me in Ridgecrest. Along comes Army dude. We shared our champagne. I must say, the contrast between "carrying and anvil" and "going light" was never more evident than upon that summit.
I asked Sock's about it later and she confirmed it was hard to just "blow by" people but the are SO slow!
It gets me wondering, now that I am back in the real world.. How fast could I hike now after living the cushy life? HaHa!
Sent on the go from my Peek