[pct-l] water consumption/capacity

Bill Burge bill at burge.com
Thu Jan 21 11:27:26 CST 2010

In driving hikers to REI this past year, the Platypus 1 and 2+ liter
were very popular for extra storage.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31WFKDBPKKL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

And the 1L Smart Water bottles for the side mesh pouches on the ULA
packs.  Walmart usually has them for $1 each.

(The tall skinny one on the right)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41pubSM4GYL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Both are pretty pretty durable without being too heavy.  I had a half
full Smart Water bounce down a steep trail we were bushwacking and
then got pointed nose down and went like a torpedo for another 50
yards.  Sucked to go get it, except for some scratches it was fine.
For day hikes I carry two, now I can tell them apart for which has
Propel and which has plain water.

It seems Platypus has changed the soft bottles for this year.  Trying
to make them more _sexy_.

http://www.rei.com/product/797977

BillB

On Jan 21, 2010, at 9:08 AM, Dan Africk wrote:

> Sweet, that's good to know. I was planning on bringing the patch kit
> anyway,
> for my prolite 4 sleeping pad. Come to think of it, that makes perfect
> sense- the pad and dromlite are both polyurethane-coated nylon, and
> the
> patch kit uses a urethane-based adhesive.
>
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 11:44 AM, Joan Henriksen
> <joan.henriksen at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> If you are using the dromlite bring along an Thermarest patch
>> kit.    I
>> worked at a wilderness therapy camp in the southern Utah desert for
>> a year
>> and a half. We used dromlites and the heavier MSR dromedary.  They
>> stand up
>> VERY to all the desert plants.  When they occasionally sprung leaks
>> it would
>> be a small pin hole and the Thermarest patch kit worked well.
>>
>> Joan
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Dan Africk <danstheman at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for all the feedback. It sounds like 8 liters will be
>>> plenty most
>>> of
>>> the time, so I think I'll go with the 6 liter dromlite and my 2
>>> bottles,
>>> and
>>> maybe I'll bring a nalgene 1.5 liter canteen bag for the longest
>>> waterless
>>> stretches(not the most durable, but it works and I already have
>>> it, so its
>>> free). I won't be using a hydration tube with any of my bladders-
>>> I've had
>>> too many problems with leaking at the tube connection, and they're
>>> too
>>> much
>>> of a hassle in general.
>>>
>>> Definitely some good points about the security of multiple
>>> containers, but
>>> everything I read suggests that the dromlites are pretty
>>> bombproof, and I
>>> plan on treating it gently anyway, and I like the simplicity of
>>> fewer
>>> containers. Plus I'll have enough plastic bags and duck tape that